Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Dick Despommier, and Alan Dove
Vincent, Dick, and Alan (with a cameo appearance by Rich Condit) review the world’s largest Phase III study of a complex HIV vaccine candidate in Thailand, immunization of salmon against infectious salmon anemia virus, and an outbreak of blueberry shock virus in Michigan.
Sponsor: Try GotoMyPC free for 30 days! For this special offer, visit www.gotomypc.com/podcast
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #51 (60 MB .mp3, 84 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- HIV vaccine shows promise for the first time – description of the program, FDA background document (pdf), NEJM review on why AIDS vaccine is difficult (pdf), and arguments for the trial
- Chile immunizes salmon (USGS article on the virus, pdf)
- Blueberry virus strikes Michigan research center (information on the disease and the virus)
- Rotavirus seasonality (thanks Didier!)
- Viruses and the tree of life at virology blog
- Big brains have evolved twice (thanks Arsen!)
Weekly Science Picks
Alan Bat Rabies and Other Lyssavirus Infections
Dick Boosting Vaccines: The Power of Adjuvants (Scientific American; subscription required)
Vincent The Ig Nobel Prizes by Marc Abrahams
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com or leave voicemail at Skype: twivpodcast. You can also send articles that you would like us to discuss to delicious and tagging them with to:twivpodcast.