Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Alan Dove, and Rich Condit
Vincent, Alan, and Rich revisit circovirus contamination of Rotarix, then discuss poxvirus-like replication of mimivirus in the cell cytoplasm, and whether seasonal influenza immunization increases the risk of infection with the 2009 H1N1 pandemic virus.
This episode is sponsored by Data Robotics Inc. Use the promotion code TWIVPOD to receive $75-$500 off a Drobo.
Win a free Drobo S! Contest rules here.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #77 (60 MB .mp3, 83 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- Contamination of Rotarix vaccine with porcine circovirus 1 DNA
- Do you want to know what is in your vaccines? Take the poll
- Mimivirus replicates in the cell cytoplasm like poxviruses
- mRNA capping and virus evolution
- Association between the 2008-09 seasonal influenza vaccine and pandemic H1N1 illness (commentary)
- Doane paper goes viral
- Energetics of genome ejection from bacteriophage (thanks Gary!)
- Five strategies for behavioral adaptation to pathogens and parasites (excerpt; thanks Wladimir!)
- Letters read on TWiV 77
Weekly Science Picks
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com or leave voicemail at Skype: twivpodcast. You can also post articles that you would like us to discuss at microbeworld.org and tag them with twiv.