Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Dickson Despommier, Alan Dove, Rich Condit, and Welkin Johnson
The complete TWiV crew teams up with Welkin Johnson to explore the other AIDS epidemic, infection of monkeys with simian immunodeficiency virus, and its restriction by the cellular protein TRIM5.
Click the arrow above to play, or right click to download TWiV #122 (77 MB .mp3, 147 minutes).
Links for this episode:
- Edwin Kilbourne, MD, 1920-2011
- Evolution of TRIM5-CypA in Old World monkeys (PLoS Pathogens)
- Balancing selection and evolution of Old World TRIM5 (PNAS)
- TRIM5 and cross-species transmission of a primate retrovirus (PLoS Biology)
- Infectious retrovirus in pet vaccines (J Virology)
- TWiV on Facebook
- Letters read on TWiV 122
Weekly Science Picks
Welkin – Supramap
Dickson – Science issue on visualizing data
Rich – Doonesbury weighs in on vaccines and autism
Alan – US National Vaccine Plan
Vincent – US Supreme Court decision on vaccine litigation (NY Times)
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com, or call them in to 908-312-0760. You can also post articles that you would like us to discuss at microbeworld.org and tag them with twiv.