Nissin joins the TWiV crew to discuss an outbreak of lethal disease among Cambodian children, and recombination among attenuated herpesvirus vaccines leading to pathogenic viruses.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV 191 (71 MB .mp3, 99 minutes).
Links for this episode:
- Outbreak in Cambodia (CNN)
- Pathogen mix in Cambodian illness (ProMedMail)
- Undiagnosed illness in Cambodia (WHO)
- Enterovirus 71 (virology blog)
- Recombination among attenuated vaccines (Science)
- An outbreak of irony (Ed Yong)
- Infectious laryngotracheitis
- Gallid herpesvirus 1 (Wikipedia)
- Iltovirus (ViralZone)
- TWiV on Facebook
- Letters read on TWiV 191
Weekly Science Picks
Alan – H5N1 genetic changes inventory
Rich – Mythbusters: Diet Coke and Mentos (YouTube channel)
Nissin – The Pox and the Covenant by Tony Williams, and Tereza Batista, Tired of War by Jorge Amado
Vincent – FAQ: The ‘snake bite’ portion of your thesis defense
Listener Pick of the Week
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com, or call them in to 908-312-0760. You can also post articles that you would like us to discuss at microbeworld.org and tag them with twiv.