Vincent, Alan, Rich, and Kathy discuss recent outbreaks of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Yosemite National Park and novel swine-origin influenza in the US midwest, and isolation of the Heartland virus from two patients in Missouri with severe febrile illness.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV 199 (73 MB .mp3, 101 minutes).
Links for this episode:
- Hantavirus outbreak in Yosemite (ProMedMail)
- Hantavirus in Yosemite (CDC)
- CDC page on hantavirus
- Summary of hantavirus outbreak (Avian Flu Diary)
- Swine-origin influenza outbreak in midwest (MMWR)
- Lyn Finelli interview on swine-origin H3N2 (Microbeworld)
- Transmission of vH3N2 in ferrets (PNAS)
- New phlebovirus from Missouri (NEJM)
- TWiV on Facebook
- Letters read on TWiV 199
Weekly Science Picks
Listener Pick of the Week
Adam - Leigh Van Valen
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com, or call them in to 908-312-0760. You can also post articles that you would like us to discuss at microbeworld.org and tag them with twiv.